Sunday, April 29, 2012

Crossover


“It Was a Very Good Year” by Frank Sinatra blared over the speakers at Detective Carter’s retirement party. After twenty years of serving his community, he was pushed out of the force due to an overall lack of results in his later years, so you could safely assume that this song was ironic considering the circumstances.

He glanced down at the newspaper in front of him and read a disturbing headline, “SERIAL KILLER STILL AT LARGE, CLAIMS SEVENTH VICTIM IN TWENTY DAYS.” His wrinkled face screamed a hellacious existence; he’d been beaten and battered by the game of life. His bristly moustache had remnants of alcohol resting within. Detective Carter shook his head and ordered another shot of rum. The bartender glided over to his seat and poured it for him, and continued to do so after the shot pourer stopped at one.

The detective spoke, “I’m not paying extra.”

“With your pension? Ha. You should be buying the whole bar a round.”

“Funny.” He tipped his head back and swallowed the rum without hesitation. “Fill me back up, I’m going outside to have a smoke.” Detective Carter turned in his chair and reached for his jacket to brace himself for the cold Yonkers autumn.

As he walked towards the exit, he felt a dark presence enter him to his very core. He felt it deep within himself, yet proceeded to push the door open. Once outside, he reached inside of his coat jacket for a fresh pack of Newport 100’s. He did his ritualistic exercise of packing the cigarettes, three times from each direction. He tore off the cellophane that enclosed the pack and tossed it to the ground with no regard.  

“Littering is not good, detective.” The man behind the voice stepped out from the shadows and stood two feet from Carter.

“Do you know who I am?”

“Should I?”

“Considering you’ve spent the last year and a half trying to catch me, I’d say you should, yeah.”

The detective’s mouth sat agape as the man strided over to him to look him in the eye.

“How does it feel to know that I’m not close to done? I’ve perfected my craft, more than you could say for yourself. You’ve exhausted every method to catch me, yet it can’t be done? Why is that, Jon? Want me to fill you in?”

“Be my guest. You’re somebody else’s problem now.”

“Ha. That’s funny. You’re funny, Jon. You know something, detective? And I use that term as loosely as possible because you’re nothing short of a living, breathing punch line. You’re an old washed up drunk who couldn’t catch a seven year old playing freeze tag.”

Jon let out a deep sigh, clearly becoming agitated at the words this man was lashing at him.

“What’s the matter, getting under your skin? Truth hurts doesn’t it? Now let me cut to the chase here. Ha, what a turn of phrase, huh? Maybe if you’d done exactly that I’d be rotting on death row right now, but no. You didn’t have what it takes and never did. You’re a disgrace to your profession and the force both. You should be ashamed of yourself, Jon.”

“Say what you need to say and get the fuck out of my face.”

The man let out a sincere belly laugh and leaned back against the wall. He turned his head towards him and spoke freely.

“You’ve spent the last, what, fifteen or so months trying to get me, Jon? What’s one thing you didn’t do?”

“Enough with the riddles, either say what you need to say or leave me be.”

The mysterious man took two steps back and walked in a short circle. He stopped and gathered his thoughts before letting them out into air between them.

“What you did wrong, what they all did wrong, is that you and everyone else who is on my trail neglects the notion of thinking LIKE me. Think like a ruthless, homicidal maniac. I know, it’s not easy for you heathens to do such a thing. I want to be caught. I want my name to live in infamy.” He took a turn and began to walk away. With his back turned towards the detective he said, “My name is James Altiwood and I will turn over the ends of this Earth to prove my point… and you will witness it. Have a good night, Jon.”

Jon disappeared into the shadows of the night and Detective Carter stormed his way back into the bar. He was furious. That was until he reached his seat, rum on the bar in front of him. He allowed the shot to slither down his throat. He sat back and went through what James had said to him in his head. As the words spun around like a rampant tornado, he stood up at once and placed a twenty dollar bill on the bar. “Here’s your tip, have a good one.”

About an hour had passed before Detective Carter pulled into the Home Depot parking lot. He stepped out of the green Ford Taurus and made his way to the automatic doors. The sliding doors opened and he walked through them with dark intentions in mind.

He thought to himself, “first things first, garden department. James wants me to think like him, then that is exactly what I will do.”

He did just that, once stumbling upon the garden department he came across a teenage boy wearing an orange Home Depot smock. As Jon called for his attention, the boy turned in his direction. His hair was a mess and he wore a plaid shirt beneath the smock. The worker’s name tag read BILLY. He asked if Jon needed any assistance. Jon shook his head yes and asked where he could find a hatchet and a shovel.

As Billy directed him to the hatchet first and shovel next, he thought to himself that he may have just waited on an aspiring serial killer. He was right.

7 comments:

  1. Damn I don't know if I'm supposed to correct this or read it. Normally I wouldn't discourage other writers but I think it's rude to encourage the mediocre (I'm feeling generous with that word) because they end up wasting their lives pursuing a dream they are incapable of fulfilling. When your eventual self-published or indie house novel comes out (because that's what all "writers" do)and fails miserably, don't say you weren't warned. Maybe try another genre like romance novels or children's stories if you insist upon being a WRITER, the bar is much lower for that type of niche fiction.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow bet thats the most 'imma's written ever

    ReplyDelete
  3. All "writers" talk to other "writers" and they LIE to each other. Clearly no one has helped you become a better writer. Another writer should GUT this shit and then you'd know how to make it better. Ask for honest criticism not praise for pedestrian attempts at fiction. Free tip, "His wrinkled face screamed a hellacious existence..." isn't an "interesting turn of phrase" it's a bad word pairing. Maybe if you hadn't used the hack's greatest tool (the semi colon) and had elaborated with short sentences for curt impact, it wouldn't have fallen so flat. If no one points this out to you, you will never improve and your writer friends who don't want to hurt your feelings will only create a hack who believes he knows how to wield words when really he is just a fumbling child with a pen that's too large for his chubby little fingers. You know I'm not a hack even with such limited exposure to my words. Heed them and stop masking your pain with laughter, use it to write. Don't run to a liar who doesn't have the sac to tell you the truth and only tries to soothe the hurt feelings beneath your lol. Incidentally, my tip, was the LEAST of your problems. If no one points out why the very construction of the story is flawed, they are too afraid to hurt your feelings or worse they didn't notice and are worthless as critics or editors.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Again, thanks for your input and hiding your identity.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I can be reached at immawriter@rocketmail.com if you ever want honest criticism but don't you dare send me some shit like this, put in some fucking effort. Stop enjoying your own shit and look at it from a real writer's perceptive. You should hate it all and only when you don't want to punch yourself in the face quite as hard should you ever consider "publishing" it. Stop disrespecting and insulting the reader! Write like Hemingway, Byron, Voltaire, or Twain are reading it! They were brutal critics. And yes identity concealed because I actually am a writer, I have a Wikipedia with award list and everything! And guess what? Those awards don't mean a fucking thing! Awards don't make me a better writer, being jerked off by the literati doesn't help me improve, only a vicious dickhead who rips every weakness to shreds does. Man up and be a real writer if you can handle it.

    ReplyDelete