Wednesday, June 20, 2012

The Customer


A man walking down the street stumbles upon a dimly lit bar, secluded from the rest of the

businesses on the street decides to go in for a drink. He's alone and looks as if he hasn't shaven

in weeks. He steps through the doorway and puts a 50 on the bar.

"Fill me up until the the Grant is spent." he remarks to the bartender.

"You got it. What would you like?" the bartender asks.

He thinks about, and replies "Scotch on the rocks will be fine for now."

The bartender reaches for the bottle of Scotch and pours the shot. The man stares inquisitvely at

alcohol swishing around the cup before it's handed to him.

"Thanks buddy, a couple more of these and I should be good to go."

The bar is pretty empty, not much business, especially for a Friday. He grabs a stool from behind

the bar and pulls it up in front of the customer as he finishes his drink.

"This one's on me." He pours another shot of Scotch in the glass and takes a seat. The customer

acknowledges this and lifts his glass to show his apprecation.

"So what brings you into my place? Not exactly the cream of the crop.. you could've went down the

street and found a more lively scene."

"Not what I'm looking for tonight. Looking for a nice calm place I can just relax and drink. I just lost

my job, my wife left me, and she took the kids. Not much else to do but sit back and drink it away."

The bartender gives a look of bewilderment, and then speaks, "Not trying to drive business away, but

you shouldn't be drinking your problems away."

"Why not? This is all I have now. I have nothing to go home to. Everything I love is gone."

"That's not true at all.." he said, "You might feel like that now, but trust me it gets better. I've been

through the same exact situation myself. It has a way of working itself out."

The customer looks up at the man with a sense of connection to him now that he has related to

his issue.

"Yeah? What was the problem - why'd she leave?"

"Cause I loved this place too much. She said I spent too much time here, but what she didn't

understand was that this was my dream. It was nice. We were married for seven years, had two

kids I don't see anymore.. she was pregnant when she left me, never seen my child to this day.

But that's besides the point, don't wanna bring you down too much. I've always wanted a small

bar - nothing too extragavant, as you can see. She took it as I didn't want to spend time with her,

that I would rather be here. That wasn't the case at all. It's alot of work, this place. Sometimes

your dreams become nightmares."

The customer stands up, and looks at his empty glass. He turns and looks back at the bartender

and says, "That makes more sense than anything I've heard in years. Thanks for the drink, I should

be going."

The bartender stands up from around the bar and comes to see the man off.

"You forgot your change."

"Keep it."

The bartender asks one last thing of this gentleman. "I never got your name."

"That's not important is it, dad?"



1 comment: