Friday, June 8, 2012

Dreamscape


She sat on a bench surrounded by headstones with blue skies up above. While there was not a cloud in the sky, a metaphorical one hung over her head as she carved away at the Zippo lighter. The rustling of trees in the vicinity alerted her of the presence of something or someone coming to greet her. The brief thought of walking to the sound itself was beginning to fill her mind, but she decided against it. The grass throughout the cemetery was brighter than usual, a shade of green so bright that coupled with the beaming sunlight, it was almost too painful to admire.

As the trees continued to babble their wind inspired song, a deer stepped out from the brush and pranced towards her. She laid the sharp instrument and lighter down beside her and reached into her purse and pulled out a sandwich baggie filled with animal crackers. She tossed a couple on the grass in front of her feet, which were extended and crossed. The animal bent his head down to test out his treats before slightly turning his head to left, as if to thank the woman for her kindness.

“Not a problem, my friend. Would you like some more?” The deer stepped closer once she fingered through the bag and extended her hand to offer three more pieces. His mouth graced her hand in a ticklish manner which led her to giggle like a child. She was startled by a voice behind her, the consequential movement caused the deer to run back into the shrubbery from where he came.

“Oops, sorry about that, didn’t know you were having a moment with him.”

She turned her eyes in his direction and could not believe how tall he was. At least 6’8, nearly a mammoth figure, his face was smooth and featured both dimples and a cleft chin. His extended grey hair was wispy and barely touched his shoulders. He took a seat next to her and asked if he too could snack on the crackers. She nodded her head yes and he crunched away while she sparked up a conversation.

“So do you work here or?...”

He held up a finger to tell her that he needed a second to stop chewing before he could answer the question.

“No, no, nothing like that. I was here visiting my father’s grave right over there.” He pointed to the left and folded his right left on top of his left, showing her that he was comfortable in her company. She looked down at her watch and remarked that she was late for a non-existent doctor’s appointment.  As she packed up her belongings and went on her way, the man called her back.

“You forgot your lighter, ma’am.” Before giving it back to her, he twirled it around within the grasp of his fingertips and asked what the initials meant.

“I couldn’t tell you if I wanted to. It came to me in a dream. Thank you, though. It’s important to me.”

She turned to make her way back to her car and waved to the man before she got inside. Upon slamming the door shut, she noticed the deer less than a mile ahead. Pressing her foot down on the gas, she rolled the driver’s side window down to scatter the rest of the crackers to the pavement directly outside.

The deer looked up at her as she pulled off and made a right turn into oncoming traffic. She rolled down the passenger side window as well so she could enjoy the beautiful day as she sped along the cracked roadways of Alabama’s suburban section.  She pulled the visor down in an attempt to block the glaring sun when she reached the stop light. She was behind a blue Oldsmobile, third in the traffic line. The light turned green but there was no motion which led to the car ahead of hers to blare their horn to get the leader’s attention. She chuckled when she saw that he stuck his middle finger out of his window in a rebellious manner.

As she started back on her drive, a dizzy spell overcame her. She pulled over to the shoulder lane and turned the car off. Her head rested against the leather headrest and she closed her eyes. Once closed, a figure immediately appeared in front of her. A chill entered the car as this dark feeling filled the air.

“Do not open your eyes; I am not here to hurt you. I am here to make everything clear. Do you trust me?”

With each passing word, his appearance became more distinguishable. As he continued to lay words on her, his face, or lack thereof appeared in front of hers. He was wearing a mask made up of human flesh, concealing what lay underneath.

“Show me your face or I’ll open my eyes.”
He struggled with the proposition but ultimately turned his back to remove the mask. He turned around His eyes were woven shut, his eyesight only allowed to peer through small slits in between.  He was without a nose completely, and his mouth was without lips, cut open a few inches below his nose and above his chin.

“Nobody has ever asked me to see my face. I’ve always felt it was a convincing mask… how could you tell?”

“The piece below your jawline has dangling off. It was very convincing, I applaud your effort.”

“Do you know why I’m here?”

“You’re a dream, a figment of my imagination. I’ve seen you more than once. Do you know me?”

“I do, I know you very well, and I assure you that I am no dream.”

“If you’re not a dream, and you are real, why do I always see you when I close my eyes? You haunt me every night.”

“Open your eyes for a second and tell me if it is still day time.”

She opened her eyes and realized that he was telling the truth. She closed them again and saw the deformed man sitting in a chair with his arms folded, leaning forward in a room of nothing but black. There was a light fixture directly above where he sat.

“Is it against the rules to ask what you are?”

“What I am is a man, a man that brokered a deal with the man who controls all of it. I just want you to know that I am remorseful. I am sorry, and I mean that from the bottom of my cold, black heart. This was before I knew who you really were. I am forced to witness it every time without fail. Just know that it pains me to live this time and time again.”

His monologue confused her.

“Witness what? Live through what? I don’t understand.”

“No you don’t, and how could I expect you to?  You don’t know what it’s like to responsible for someone’s death three times over. The next time you’ll die is 37 minutes from now. “

She took his warning with suspicion.

“How would you even know that?”

“Doesn’t matter. Do you remember him?”

“Who is him?”

“The man who keeps trying to find you, he dies trying to find you with every life. He will do it again tonight. You’ll see him if you get back in time. Please, no more of this. Just go on, open your eyes.”

“Why should I believe any of this?”

He began to get angry by the barrage of questions.

“Have I not been in your dreams since you were 15? I’ve always been here. You drew pictures of me in class when you were younger. I’ve seen it all, Meredith. I place thoughts in your head, I am your motive. Whether you believe me or not, you will follow through with everything I have just told you. Free will is a lie, a fallacy. I am in everyone. Murderers, rapists, do-gooders and church goers, they are all an extension of me. No matter what you choose, or think you choose, I’m making you go into that gas station over there to buy a Diet Coke. Test me.”

“Wait. Before I do, what does the carving in the lighter mean?”

“Oh, that? That was your first name. Your parents loved you very much and showed it by giving you the most beautiful name I’ve ever encountered. Scarlett Clarissa-Barbara Henson. Now go, open your eyes and go.”

She opened her eyes and turned on the ignition with a dry throat. She pulled away and eventually into the gas station parking lot. She parked next to a man in a green Subaru who was looking for something in his glove compartment. As she entered the door and grabbed a Diet Coke, she glanced at her watch and felt like she was late for something.

Placing the two dollar bills on the counter top and rushed out of the door. As she was fiddling through her purse to find her keys, the lighter dropped to the cement. Keys in hand, she jumped into the car and sped off without a second to spare. She approached the driveway to her home that was hidden behind a legion of trees and wildlife.

Three minutes remained in this life, and she lay on the couch with a blanket with a pen and paper sitting on the table next to her. She grasped the DVD remote and turned the device on. She laid down and the words “defy, defy” were ringing in between her ears. She grabbed the scalpel that she used previously to carve her first initials into the lighter.

It appeared that the man in the dream was a liar; no man would come for her. They never did. She felt foolish to have believed a monster from a dream. It was decided that she would show him who owned free will. The paper was on her lap and the pen in her hand, she wrote the words, “I waited for you.” The scalpel scraped across her left wrist first, then her right. She covered up and felt the coldness of death embrace her very being.

She heard footsteps on the stairs and she began to sob. He had come for her… and he was too late.




No comments:

Post a Comment