Thursday, January 1, 2015

Stray

I scurried out of the brush in which I’d spend a fair amount of my humid summer nights under. I wasn’t sure exactly where in the world I was, but I’d like to think that I had explored my share of it. I’ve seen exotic birds and fast squirrels, seasons change from cold to hot, and many neighborhood friends come and go. Some passed on, others just faded away.

As I looked around the parking lot, I noticed more vehicles than usual. It was a very hot day, and with me being as hairy as I am, I desperately needed something to quench my thirst. Running towards a door with a open hanging shade, I stopped at once and stared into their domicile.

A woman stepped to the door, turning the knob and eventually greeting me on the concrete based porch. There were two green folding chairs on the porch that overlooked the parking lot. As she caressed me, I circled around her, rubbing against her to show my appreciation.

I didn’t normally trust people, but there was something special about this person. This person put love into every touch, this person sweet talked me, this person fetched me some much needed water. I wouldn’t dare ask for food, even if I knew how. I’ve never been domesticated. The streets are all I know – it was all I’ve ever known, honestly.

I was ok with it, I accepted it. Not all of us were meant to be loved. I watched acquaintances and friends return back to the place they called home with the people they adored. It wasn’t that I didn’t want that, it’s just that I knew that it wasn’t for me.

A husky man joined her on the porch and kneeled down beside her to join in on the current infatuation of me. If I said I didn’t revel in this particular moment in time, I’d be a bold faced liar. His beard was dark and well groomed, and their hair color matched almost too perfectly. It was obvious that they were meant for each other. I used to look at Jesse that way.

As my past life came to mind, I subconsciously resented  them for taking me back to that place, so I rose to my feet and ran off to see where the rest of the day would take me.

I loved Jesse with all of my heart, and couldn’t help but relive me helplessly watching as he got ran over by a red truck. By the time I reached him, he was already gone. There was no goodbye, there was no closure. There was nothing. Nothing but me, left alone to pick up the pieces, alone.

As much as it hurt me to relive that day, I knew that it was necessary. I had to let go, but never forget.

I decided it was time for me to take a nap. I could sense the impending rain in the air and knew it’d be best if I rested somewhere with a slight overhang. Strolling through back alleys and backyards, I had arrived at a bar that I frequented. The people there seemed to enjoy having me around and I could always count on a free meal.

I arrived at the door and the same wrinkled gentleman cleared the path for me to go inside. I climbed up on a bar stool, and was greeted with a chuckle and a bowl of tuna fish. This man, as nice as he was, didn’t have the same light inside of him that the brunette woman had. It didn’t make me appreciate the meal any less, but I left almost immediately after eating.

As I ran back to the apartment complex to see the brunette lady once more, I realized that she was sitting on the porch, alone and crying. I approached her and hopped in her lap, but she didn’t seem to like me as much. The tears kept falling, a few of them landing on me, and her cries got louder.


Maybe her Jesse got hit by a red truck, too. I sat in silence as she ran her fingers through my fur, purring softly. 

No comments:

Post a Comment